The Neill-Cochran House is considered to be one of Austin’s three most important historic residences. Built in 1855 as a suburban estate, this impressive Greek Revival house has survived war, neglect, and the growth of the University of Texas area and the capital city. More than 150 years ago, master builder Abner Cook was commissioned to build this notable Greek Revival home in Austin. Over the years the property has served as home to the state’s first school for the blind, a lieutenant governor, and a hospital for Federal soldiers during Reconstruction. Today, the NCHM is owned by the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in The State of Texas.
Step into a place designed and constructed by Abner Cook, the Master Builder responsible for Austin’s most elegant 19th-century houses, including the Texas Governor’s Mansion, Woodlawn, Sweetbrush, and Westhill filled with sumptuous furnishings dating form 1780-1925 in period rooms: Colonial, Empire, Rococo Revival, Victorian preserving a colorful narrative of its many owners and occupants, including the Texas School for the Blind and Federal troops during Reconstruction surrounded by a shaped landscape and secluded patio
2310 San Gabriel St. (map)