The Historic Millett Opera House was built in 1878 on what was once Ash Street by Captain Charles Millett & his friend, Frederick Ernst Ruffini. Captain Millett was a Fire Chief, business owner, City of Austin elected official, and special committee member.
After much negotiating with various performing artists, the first of the proposed performances to be offered Grand Opening Week October 23rd,1878 was announced. Coquette, “……an American play of classical merit native in diction and incidents…” was to be performed in a benefit for the Austin Library Association using all amateur actors who were well known Austin residents.
Millett’s Opera House was used to host the state Democratic Convention, graduations, a roller rink, and of course its first and main purpose was as a stage.
110 E. 9th Street (map)